The position itself is very interesting. The company is very aggressively trying to grow and has lots of new ideas. At the same time, I am stuck with some legacy systems that I need sort out asap. The people here are really very nice. Birmingham is also really nice and far cheaper then London for house prices.
My responsibilities include:
- Maintaining the web servers
- Leading the web development team
- Maintaining all the servers and desktops inside the company - some are quite old.
- Leading the internal application development team
- The databases and the business intelligence of the company - we use MySQL 4 and 5 (I need to upgrade them)
- And.. the phones for the entire company - don't know why.
So I have quite a lot of work to get done and I hope that I will have some interesting stories to blog about in the future. They will probably about fixing legacy systems...
Wish me luck.