I recently had a case where pt-query-digest took up all the memory and swap on a (linux) development server. I think the reason was that the slow log had blob data in it.
Even though it wasn't a production server, it managed to upset some people.
- Installed strawberry perl on my windows computer
- Downloaded the gzip'd slow log file (using WinSCP)
- Unzip'd it
- Saved percon.com/get/pt-query-digest to a .pl file on my laptop
- Went to start menu
- In the run part I typed cmd
- In the new command window, I typed pt-query-digest.pl slow.log > digest.txt
My laptop was a bit hot for a few hours, but nothing crashed and no one was upset.